Friday, February 15, 2008

Is no computer, chilluns.

The one invention of the 20th century (somewhat arguable, some Frenchman made one in the 1760's,) that has made more far-reaching changes in us as a society is the automobile. It has made us terribly impatient. We have to have everything now, you dig. I hate the automobile and we'd be better off without it. We'd be nicer, completely independent of oil (before the auto, oil was considered a useless toy; well not completely independent, we need it for plastic,) and I really think we'd have richer lives. Take it slow. Take it light. I hate working wrecks.

1 comment:

Gil said...

I hate the automobile and we'd be better off without it.

I hope you're kidding.

The automobile has been incredibly liberating. Individuals can decide where and when to go! They can pursue their distant interests, work and live in separate places, flee disasters, etc.

Patience and taking it slow are good suggestions, though.